Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Climatic changes [ 18+ ]

I agree with you, but again, you took me wrong ( my mistake, i was not speaking presicely) I was speaking in general. I am not blind, but i hardly can care about something, that takes 10000x longer then my life.

that's selfish...
    what about your kids and your kid's kids etc
    epic pickup line:
    If you were homework, I'd throw you on the table and do you right now.

I love that website I watched it about 20minutes and finally someone from my contry was born xD

i do i.e. i will care of my kids and my grandkids, but i just naturaly cant take care of any next members of my familly, i will be dead.

Well, I did a bit of reading on the topic, because of a little round table I attended, and wanted to give you a few more interesting facts to think about on the topic.

First of all, as one of the attendees pointed out, it is important to distinguish, whether it is the climate or "just" the weather going out of normal. Methodologically, you talk about climate when talking about the span of minimum of 30 years of observations of weather. So, if you are going to address climate changes, you better have data relevant to it, from a time span wide enough.
    Fortunately, we have such data available, therefore statements about climate change are valid. The thing is, there are major and very important factors affecting the problem of global warming, that have an "snowball" aspect to them, and if we do not recognise them now, we will not be able to stop or change them later.

One more thing, if you are a person that "believs" in climate change, or you do not "believe" in it, you do not even have to read further (as I have mentioned in my first post here, people that believe in facts should not be even allowed to vote).

I hope you have all heard about the case of the leaked email communication from the CRU (climatic research unit in UK), that seemingly shows that scientists tried to forge or meliorate the numbers in their research to make the effects of climate change "scarier" for the public. This is indeed horrible news, because it shows one sad (or horrifying, if you ask me) fact: that the scientist have to make the "public believe" in the facts they are analysing, as well as in the results of the analysis. What good is that? We are basically on the same spot as we were with the freons and the ozone layer. The industry claimed total safety, the public was swayed by the effective and cheap cooling agent, and in effect, we almost managed to permanently damage the ozone layer. I assure you the debate, even though less public, was more or less the same as we have now. If anyone can remember, there were the same outcries about "ecofreaks" and "alarmists" at the time the scientists shown proofs about the disappearance of the ozone layer. We actually had to wait for the real hole to appear and to create huge areas of wasteland, before any action was taken. Well, this time, it will not be a local problem, and the proofs is even more subtle, thus harder to proof.

There is one more very important thing to note: we are very "unlucky" to have the global talks now, at this period. Why? Because of the sun, better said the solar activity of the so called solar wind. If you happen to know, there is a 11 year cycle of the solar activity, were the solar wind reaches maximal and minimal intensity. Earth experiences generally warmer weather during maximum activity, you may think we get more "sunshine" We are currently not only in the minimal period of the cycle, but it seems that the cycle has reached one of the rare breaks. It is yet not even understood as why these breaks appear, but the last big one was in the late 18th century, a so called Maunder minimum, which lasted over 50 years. During the minimal phase of the cycle, we naturally experience colder weather. The second effect this has is increased vulcanic activity due to the more "active" magnetic field of our planet. Yet again, this leads to a slight cooling of the atmosphere in the end effect.
    Basically, these two major factors work against us, because we do not see the real outcome of global warming. But what is important, that due to the minimal solar cycle, the average yearly temperature should decrease - but it increases, which is very bad.

There are, however, other things that will affect us and the climate immediately, if we do not take action. Let me give a few more examples of what is happening, other than the temperature changing (of which we all heard enough):
    1. The line of permanent snow is moving up in all of the major mountain areas on the western hemisphere. There is no space to argument about this, and the only effect it has is that there are more and more floods to be expected. You may have heard or read about the recent meeting of the goverment of Nepal, held under the Himalaya. The ministeres climbed into the hight of 5k to hold a short meeting, in order to attract attention to the changes happening. Out of the himalayan icebergs, all but two are getting smaller. There are lakes appearing where there was only snow for centuries, or as far as anyone can remember. The Ganga and the Yellow River both have streams in the Himmalaya, and the floods will endanger millions of people.

2. Even worse, the line of permafrost is moving. Permafrost is soil, better said ground, that is permanently frozen, like the one on Siberia. Why is this bad? Because over the years and years, this ground has accumulated carbon (in form of methane and carbon dioxide) und the layer of ice, in huge (HUGE) ammounts. If the ice layers thaws, the carbon will evaporate into the atmosphere - causing more glasshouse effect. This is the snowball I talked about. The same is happening to the carbon bound in the cold waters of the arctic and antarctic oceans.
    Some people here argued, that the human population may move to the new open grounds. This will however probably not be possible, because permafrost areas have an insane low humidity, and the rain is almost non existent. Basically, the regions will turn from permafrost to deserts.

3. The humans will maybe move, but what is already moving is the rest of the biosphere. I will give only a few example from central europe, because I did not read about any other region yet. For example, the praying mantis was more of a rare sight back in the 70s and 80s anywhere north from Budapest. These days, it is a common insect. There are more then 12 new species of fish in the rivers of Slovakia, that were found only in waters more then 200km to the south previously. We have several specimen of the Phlebotomus mosquito, which is very alarming. This type was never before spotted in central Europe, and it is the spreading agent of several extremely dangerous tropical and subtropical parasitical diseases. Along with the many insect types that are moving to the north, there are several other disease carriers, and the human population of the north regions is not used to them, which will have drastic effects, and can start possible epidemics.

I would ask everyone to think about it, and if ever you should talk to someone about this, be sure to make him think, before taking a I-know-this-and-nothing-changes-my-mind stance. It is obvious to me, that the people responsible for this are all of us (because, as I said earlier, we all change the atmosphere by introducing exobiological particles to it, as well as vaporising tons and tons of carbon). Unfortunately, only a little percentage of the human population have a right to decide something globally, and these people are and will be swayed by power and money they can earn.

Ah, but here is an interesting opinion. I will attempt a loose paraphrase on an article by Fiona Kobusingye:

"So you say, we are endangered by climate change, and in no more then one centure, there will be million of people dying because of this? Every year, AIDS kills 2,2mil. people in Africa. Starvation, and other diseases that are easy to prevent, account on further 3,4mil. Each year. Talking about climate change and preventing new power stations in Africa is amoral.

The people here know. Thousand of year ago, the Sahara was a woodland, with rivers and animals. How do we know? Because we still talk to each other, and we have our stories. Now, it is a desert, and it surely is not because the pharaos moved rocks around to build pyramids, or because people build camp-fires. You say that we cannot have coal powerstations, when China and India open a new one almost everyday.
    With no power, we cannot store and transport food and medicine. We cannot open schools and build factories. Fact is, your eco-friendly politics is killing us. It means that we cannot cook food and we cannot clean water, so millions of us die because of malaria, cholera, TBC, infectious diarhoea, and so on.

Even if you would magically transform all your electrical sources to clean ones, the levels of CO2 will increase for the next few decades. Africa must stop listening to people like Al Gore, the UN or the whole West. We surely do not need more of their help, especially if that help is pouring money into officials and goverments, that are corrupted and evil. We need to produce, we need to trade, we need electricity to build a modern society.
    You cannot keep telling us that the climate change is the biggest threat to us. Since the end of the last ice age, the sea levels rose more then 100 meters. That is just the way it is."

Well this was really stunning for me. On the other hand, I cannot keep myself from thinking about it in a malthusian way. And saying that, I do actually think that some major catastrophe would help the humankind, as it always did.

Space colonies! All leave earth, earth clean.

great avatar

wow wtf? is this just a fake java'ish movie or is this real updated and such o.o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2