Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Windows discussion.

well ussualy people pay for services and technical support and for proprietary tools that come with the distro.
    But some people abuse the license and sell open source software like check ebay,people sell there open-office and gimp and other software as-well ,people must be that stupid since a google-away you find that it's free XD but as they say a sucker is born every minute
    Ignore This:

Post -

Quote Originally Posted by KeweLi View Post
    Greedy, next time you copy and paste something off the internet, make sure you state your source...
    Though you know that, anyway my source is the mother of internet; [url]http://wikipedia.org[/url] and i c/ped only some parts that i agree with.

im broke but no broken, cold but not frozen // lost but not forgotten, b!tch ill crack your skull open - terrorize your whole clique, make you suck on your own tits // i spit the cancer out, grab a glock, call me sir Manson-a-lot

Hmm.. let me see:

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy
    Hello everyone, if you don't mind i'll join this discussion and tell you my opinion about it. Before I start, though, let me say that i'm not Anti-Windows or Anti-Linux as well, because most of the people reading pieces like this always assume something of that. I use both, on my home box i use Windows XP because of my intention for the gaming nature which means relaxing while playing (Warcraft III etc.) and chating with friends. On my laptop i run Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy TLS Desktop Edition for business purposes and since i'm on university of electrotechnical science with main object: telecommunications and programming they require from us that we stick with Linux distros rather then Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html
    Both Windows and Linux come in many flavors. All the flavors of Windows come from Microsoft, the various distributions of Linux come from different companies (i.e. Linspire, Red Hat, SuSE, Ubuntu, Xandros, Knoppix, Slackware, Lycoris, etc. ).
    Windows has two main lines. The older flavors are referred to as "Win9x" and consist of Windows 95, 98, 98SE and Me. The newer flavors are referred to as "NT class" and consist of Windows NT3, NT4, 2000, XP and Vista. Going back in time, Windows 3.x preceded Windows 95 by a few years. And before that, there were earlier versions of Windows, but they were not popular. Microsoft no longer supports Windows NT3, NT4, all the 9x versions and of course anything older. Support for Windows 2000 is partial.
    The flavors of Linux are referred to as distributions (often shortened to "distros"). All the Linux distributions released around the same time frame will use the same kernel (the guts of the Operating System). They differ in the add-on software provided, GUI, install process, price, documentation and technical support. Both Linux and Windows come in desktop and server editions.
    There may be too many distributions of Linux, it's possible that this is hurting Linux in the marketplace. It could be that the lack of a Linux distro from a major computer company is also hurting it in the marketplace. IBM is a big Linux backer but does not have their own branded distribution. Currently there seem to be many nice things said about the Ubuntu distribution.
    Linux is customizable in a way that Windows is not. For one, the user interface, while similar in concept, varies in detail from distribution to distribution. For example, the task bar may default to being on the top or the bottom. Also, there are many special purpose versions of Linux above and beyond the full blown distributions described above. For example, NASLite is a version of Linux that runs off a single floppy disk (since revised to also boot from a CD) and converts an old computer into a file server. This ultra small edition of Linux is capable of networking, file sharing and being a web server.

Both Linux and Windows provide a GUI and a command line interface. The Windows GUI has changed from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 (drastically) to Windows 2000 (slightly) to Windows XP (fairly large) and is slated to change again with the next version of Windows, the one that will replace XP (Windows 7). Windows XP has a themes feature that offers some customization of the look and feel of the GUI.
    Linux typically provides two GUIs, KDE and Gnome. See some screenshots of Lycoris and Lindows in action. The lynucs.org web site has examples of many substantially different Linux GUIs. Of the major Linux distributions, Lindows has made their user interface look more like Windows than the others. Then too, there is a desktop environment (XPde) with a window manager (XPwm) for Linux which really makes Linux look like Windows to make it easier for Windows XP users to use a Linux box.
    Mark Minasi makes the point (Windows and .NET magazine) that the Linux GUI is optional while the Windows GUI is an integral component of the OS. He says that speed, efficiency and reliability are all increased by running a server instance of Linux without a GUI, something that server versions of Windows can not do. In the same article he points out that the detached nature of the Linux GUI makes remote control and remote administration of a Linux computer simpler and more natural than a Windows computer.
    Is the flexibility of the Linux GUI a good thing? Yes and No. While advanced users can customize things to their liking, it makes things harder on new users for whom every Linux computer they encounter may look and act differently.

When it comes to Text Mode Interface, that is also known as a command interpreter. Windows users sometimes call it a DOS prompt. Linux users refer to it as a shell. Each version of Windows has a single command interpreter, but the different flavors of Windows have different interpreters. In general, the command interpreters in the Windows 9x series are very similar to each other and the NT class versions of Windows (NT, 2000, XP) also have similar command interpreters. There are however differences between a Windows 9x command interpreter and one in an NT class flavor of Windows. Linux, like all versions of Unix, supports multiple command interpreters, but it usually uses one called BASH (Bourne Again Shell). Others are the Korn shell, the Bourne shell, ash and the C shell (pun, no doubt, intended).

For desktop or home use, Linux is very cheap or free, you can download Linux for free from each of the Linux vendors, Windows is expensive, either for server use, Linux is very cheap compared to Windows. Microsoft allows a single copy of Windows to be used on only one computer. Starting with Windows XP, they use software to enforce this rule (Windows Product Activation at first, later Genuine Windows). In contrast, once you have purchased Linux, you can run it on any number of computers for no additional charge. The irony here is that Windows rose to dominance, way back when, in large part by undercutting the competition (Macs) on cost. Now Linux may do the same thing to Windows.
    When it comes to deal with viruses, worms, Spyware, etc. a big advantage goes to Linux here.

You can read many articles and eBooks about which OS is the best or why it's no.1 in the comparison to others telling why the one sux and other not but i think that it depends on the user it self to decide about that regarding his expirience and his own needs.
    Know why it is so easy to spot? Because there is a huge difference in English and intellegence.

Post -

Quote Originally Posted by KeweLi View Post
    Hmm.. let me see:

Know why it is so easy to spot? Because there is a huge difference in English and intellegence.
    I say "Reading is the key". // M.Horowitz wrote a nice article that i agree with when it comes to comparison of OS and i updated it a little adding my opinion to it, anyway he took some of the info from Wikipedia as well, check his blog Computerworld. There are always people that have enough free time to play around with stuff like testing software,etc. and then at the end write an
    article about it, where you can google it and find their info on Wikipedia or any other site with eBooks containing their info, some of it maybe false but reading it makes you understand some sort of things that help you to conclude about it in a more different way then you though before. I don't know why you care so much about the source of information at all, you should focus more on the information and try to learn something rather then
    critisize people about their grammar or intelligence thinking that they don't know a sh** about they talk,let me tell you that you are wrong and grammar doesn't matter at all, it's ok as long as you can understand it since we are not in school.

im broke but no broken, cold but not frozen // lost but not forgotten, b!tch ill crack your skull open - terrorize your whole clique, make you suck on your own tits // i spit the cancer out, grab a glock, call me sir Manson-a-lot

You realize that there exists information so general that you don't need to take it from wikipedia to know it?
    Therefore you can't claim he took it from wikipedia, it can be the other way arround, and wikipedia is no the only online encyclopedia out there <.<
    BTW: your leetspeak in the location doesn't suit that field, you should change it to normal text if you want to be taken serious.
    Ignore This:

i use vista x64 and it works great. had no problems with it since installation. i do have a monster of computer though mby that's the reason it runs so smooth. imo if u got the hardware go vista since it's much more efficient and fast than xp. and if u don't like that whole Allow/Disallow stuff u can disable the UAC fairly easy and u won't be bothered anymore.

Hidden Text click here to show

Blog Entries
    Windows 7 coming out on 22. October for retail.

Undefeated Mad Balls Arena champion

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know how could I add custom shortcuts/directories in Windows 7 menus (like Open menu and explorer in general, menu on the left (Documents, My Computer, Images etc etc)).

I would seriously like to have a custom folder to appear on that menu, because I use it very often and need to navigate instead.

Google says nothing because I'm not even sure how to express myself in search.

what you are looking for is the explorer (shell) context menu, or the customisation of it.

[URL="http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-clean-up-your-messy-windows-context-menu/"]Here[/URL] is a pretty default guide to it; all in all, the menu is created and managed through the windows registry.
    It should be easy to google tools that can do this for you, e.g. [URL="http://www.thewindowsclub.com/right-click-context-menu-extender-for-windows-7-released"]right-click[/URL], [URL="http://www.lopesoft.com/en/fmtools/info.html"]filemenu tools[/URL], and so on. I just gave you two options I found through google, I have no experience with them

Blog Entries
    not the menus but:

Click on Priljubljene and paste a shortcut of your folder (with right click), it will appear under the star menu; or

Add new Knjižnice or edit a current one to target desired folder.
    Last edited by Herr; 11th January 2011 at 09:03 PM.
    A retardedired Herr until 0,5 posts per day! A retardedired Herr until 0,5 posts per day!

Blog Entries
    lawl, how I didn't see this

and herrzor explaining in my own language

<3

I installed win7 and i just got MORE PROBLEMS:@@@@@

Blog Entries
    Like what?

Administrator rights.
    Can't play on battle.net
    I need to reinstall everything i had, c++, python and stuff and they need the serial number, which i don't have anymore.
    And many many many more

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast