Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playing on linux

Blog Entries

Playing on linux

Warning: Warcraft III 1.27a+ does not currently work on Linux with w3l! This solution is still work in progress. This means you can't play on our server on wine Linux at the moment.

Fedora 25 instructions

# First login to X11 session, NOT Wayland
    sudo dnf install wine
    sudo dnf install winetricks
    winetricks vcrun2013
    winetricks vcrun2015
    # Download installer, run it normally

At this point everything should basically just work except w3l will fail to start due to failed patching. We are still looking how to fix this problem.
    Last edited by Cen; 1st January 2017 at 05:38 PM.

Undefeated Mad Balls Arena champion

Alright, few more details about version numbers where I everything tested and retested. I don't run bleeding edge systems, but prefer older stuff /w long term supports. Generally it should work on any newer linux installation, you may only have problems if you go with even older wine versions...

Kernel: 3.4
    Wine: 1.5.15 and 1.7.4

So those both work fine, even tho they are several years old. I also tried to test on distro based on Ubuntu LTS from 2012 and there I failed. W3l.exe alone works fine, but xpam launcher is no-go. Maybe because even Visual C++ 2010 runtimes on that even older wine needs some workarounds to install.

Few more tips for linux w3 gamers:

I like to rebind Num7 and Num8 (inventory hotkeys) to something else, so I use few commands as alternative to this: [URL]http://drjones.dk/customkeys/extensionscript.php[/URL]

Code:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 65 = KP_7"
    xmodmap -e "keycode 9 = KP_8"
    This rebinds Num7 and 8 to 'Space bar' and 'Escape'. And this turns it back to normal:

Code:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 65 = space"
    xmodmap -e "keycode 9 = Escape"
    You can put those commands in a script (just add #!/bin/sh on the beginning of file), and tell your Gnome/KDE/Xfce/etc to bind it on F5 and F6 keys to activate/deactivate. To make it even fancier sound effect could be added as well, just add another line utilising handy tool named aplay (simple as aplay /path/to/your/sound.wav).

As alt-tab from fullscreen on linux knows to be bit shitty, I like to play in windowed mode. Now I haven't really found good solution to confine mouse to window (and if you know of some, I'd LOVE to hear about it) but for now I have my workaround which may be useful to some. Basically I resize game window to precisely cover 3 edges (for me thats top and sides, as I run pretty much windows-like taskbar on bottom). Now ingame mouse scroll cam works everywhere nicely except on bottom. And because I only need to fix that one side I use this handy tool: [URL]http://eeg.cz/=forro=/dead_space.tar.gz[/URL] (extract and run make in dir to compile it). I'm on 1680x1050 resolution so for me this parameters work nicely: ./dead_space 0 1015 1680 50. Of course, you could put compiled dead_space utility somewhere in your $PATH (/usr/bin/ or sth) and add that line as well to the script from above to activate on F5 and disable on F6 along with inventory keys (for disabling I guess line containing "pkill dead_space" should work just fine).

Blog Entries
    Playing on linux is currently not supported due to ASLR problem in WINE. We will try to get ASLR disabled in WINE for war3.exe but we don't know whether WINE developers will agree to that.

Hi,

I successfully ran FT on other flavor of Linux thru Wine but I failed to ran nor make hotkeys suitable for this environment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3589gud.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	180171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2epspl4.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	1,017.1 KB 
ID:	180172

[URL]http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,18432.msg114735.html#msg114735[/URL]
    [URL]http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,19007.msg116666.html#msg116666[/URL]

Blog Entries
    This is with w3l?

Yes, but no installation I just used mod FT. Does Hotkeys worked in your Linux inside Wine environment???

Yes, how do hotkeys work for your Linux?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuro View Post
    Yes, but no installation I just used mod FT. Does Hotkeys worked in your Linux inside Wine environment???
    Can you write a step-by-step tutorial how you get it working? Because I couldn't make it work with w3l for 1.27a and wine on my computer. I didn't even test hotkeys because w3l would not load correctly..

Well I just first compile a driver for my AGP then I download wine and use portable FT. I am not familiar with Ubuntu maybe use what I used- Tiny Core Linux 4.0 I could help you step by step to set up because this is modular OS everything is stripped down to basic. What is your Video Card anyways? Contact me on Google Hangout or Skype if you plan to.

Blog Entries
    Video card is not the problem. The problem is that starting w3l.exe with wine fails it can't find the offsets).

Did you run the InstallPathfixer.exe in wine? I think it is a registry issue try to modify registry in wine.

On my machine w3l.exe works well. I have only problem with connection to any server "Unable validate game version" or something like this. Game isn't crashed because i moved this file to win os and there i can connect. I checked all registry for some mistakes, but there everything seems be alright. Some advice would be very thankful.

Blog Entries
    I am a bit busy but I'll test it myself and see if I can figure anything out.. the last time I checked w3l didn't work so this might be progress.

Blog Entries
    The reason you get invalid game version on linux is if you still have an old war3.exe binary in w3 folder. Delete that and w3l will try to load Warcraft III.exe instead (which is the correct one as of 1.28.4+) and w3l fails to load:
    Warcraft III.exe:
    Read ebx:0x00000001
    Can't read base address
    base: ffffffff
    [w3l] Trying offset 0x00461A64... Bad offset
    [w3l] Trying offset 0x0022062C... Bad offset
    Read ebx:0x00000001
    Can't read base address

Now.. figuring out why offsets are differen on linux than on windows is a whole new story. Pretty sure this was broken since 1.27 already or maybe it's a different bug. Apparently cheatengine might work under wine so I'll try to figure out the correct offset when I have a few hours free.

If any enthusiast out there: you need to locate base address of the w3 exe and then find string "game.dll" in exe memory and write that offset down. These are apparently not ok on linux (line 51 [url]https://github.com/w3lh/w3l/blob/master/exe/w3l.c[/url])
    Last edited by Cen; 24th August 2017 at 09:51 PM.

I deleted war3.exe and it still want war3.exe. I copied Warcraft III.exe and gave it name war3.exe. And now it said that i have wrong version of Warcraft III. I restored all of files. Could you upload somewhere your war3.exe? I'll check it.
    When do you have this bad offset? Which exe you opened? On my os it work flawless not including this connection of course. Check this screenshot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170826_191059.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	887.6 KB 
ID:	180412

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast