PDA

View Full Version : Preparing yourself for Staff

Backdoor
3rd December 2009, 02:14 AM
I'm sure all of us have had thoughts about becoming staff in the past, present or future. Many of the community members have ideas on how to go about it too, (do something extravagent, take advantage of another, work for it, or simply beg). Many of the things I said in that last sentence aren't ideal, they do not show what you can really do as a staff member, or how you could help the community in a manner of being apart of the administration. But I'm going to tell you how to prepare yourself, and teach you how to be apart of the staffing community the good way. (There are various ways, but I find this the easiest, and the best.)

-Seeker of Truth

- Join the forum, and the first thing you want to do is study the rules. Take them to memory for future reference. Why would you need to do this? It's the first step in preperation. If you are to enforce the rules, you must know them.

- Understand the ideas of the community. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you apply for staff. You don't want to assist something that disinterest you, or you even dislike strongly.

- Get to know the members, and administration. This is a key step in your path. You must acknowledge all ideas put forth, and boast your opinion on them. Attain your voice, it's the only way. Get to know the community leaders, and people of all kinds. The more diversity you learn from, and cling to, the more your name becomes populated, and revered. Become friends with a good majority, and wonderful things will happen to you.

- Get to know the forum software. This is definitely not a requirement, but it is something that is highly recommeded. The more you know about the software, the more you can do to help the current staff on that site. You'll become known as a helper, and your opinions will be taken into higher account, and your name revered even more.

- Work, work, work. Posting is a key part in becoming staff. This doesn't mean spamming the forum endlessly attempting to up your post count, but it means raising your voice on subjects, and teaching others in different situations. As a wanna-be-staffer you should help with things that are not getting done, and take things into your own hands. This way, the current staff knows your a dedicated, and hard worker, and they'll want you on their team. (But remember, these things take time.)

- Sentence Structure, and how you type. Make sure you teach yourself how to type. Try to use as much grammar as possible when writing out your messages, and other information. This will make you look more professional, and more understandable.

- Believe in yourself. Never give up in your pursuit of becoming a staff member on the site you enjoy coming to. Just keep working and eventually, if you put enough effort in, you'll get it.

Backdoor
3rd December 2009, 02:38 AM
I just hoped individuals would read this, and prepare themselves if they ever wished to become a staff member on any forum.

Cen
3rd December 2009, 10:04 AM
Where did you get the experience about suggestions?

I would just say...be involved and don't break the rules. QED

Backdoor
3rd December 2009, 10:43 AM
Where did you get the experience about suggestions?

I rised my administrative experience on many sites that I used to go before.

Smurf
3rd December 2009, 11:14 AM
Actually,he's right.
Good job,Backdoor.

MiZiGe
3rd December 2009, 11:32 AM
There is a small problem to this, and that would be: you have to have a bit of luck too, or masses of patience :)

The staff is not recruiting new people on the go, better said permanently, and even though your contribution to the forum/server are of importance and great value, it is not always possible to give a staff rank. However, such actions are usually noted and very often rewarded.
For example, I know I was not the best, and still am definitely not the best with tech knowledge around, but I was lucky enough to be there when a new tech supporter was needed :) and I eventually got chosen. (after someone else refused I think :D :D)

And one more thing just came to my mind. What I missed in your lineup of recommendations, is "devotion" or in other word, enthusiasm. I personally put high emphasis on this when considering new staff members or promotions.

Backdoor
3rd December 2009, 11:56 AM
Finally some quality replies, thank you guys.

Yes, patience is the key, as I stated in my lineup of recommendations:
Believe in yourself. Never give up in your pursuit of becoming a staff member on the site you enjoy coming to. Just keep working and eventually, if you put enough effort in, you'll get it.

And one more thing just came to my mind. What I missed in your lineup of recommendations, is "devotion" or in other word, enthusiasm. I personally put high emphasis on this when considering new staff members or promotions.

I would call it "loyalty" :)

TBK.Goldy
3rd December 2009, 12:24 PM
Believe in yourself. Never give up in your pursuit of becoming a staff member on

:huh: Why the hell would anyone want to be a staff member?

... Mommy, when I grow up I want to be a fireman... no... a superman... no... I want to be in the... STAFF!!!!

Mommy; :cool2: Eat alot of vegetables, and mby one day... just mby...

Herr
3rd December 2009, 01:33 PM
It's pretty obvious, but still, apparently, the ones who attempt to accomplish this task forget about 90% of these aspects :D

Thank you for putting it on paper for once and all. I believe you'll be quoted pretty often :p

eXtasY
3rd December 2009, 01:57 PM
I'd also like to add that its quite different when you look from the aspect of user, and staff member. Those things you wrote are very right, but it happens that users simply dont know to the limit. They want to be helpful and post, but they just do the opposite since they are not able to contribute in respective situations. So, instead of help they just make mess, and then they ask around about promotions.

Also, that "knowing the admins" part is right in some parts, because it is important that staff notice you, but also its very annoying when you see user approaching to you just to get some privileges. You know, adding on msn, sending messages on forum, whispering and generally acting as you're his friend although you're both aware what is it about. As i said, its very disturbing, and there is no one who likes it.

I'd point patience the most. Staff needs to see that you dont do something just to get power, that you will continue with your work, and that your main goal is to help the place. Those who really work followed by that reasons wont give up that easy, and they will eventually become part of staff when some free positions show up. Look on it as test of personality.

Its important to note that staff maybe looks a bit "blind" sometimes by not promoting some people, but i want to assure you thats not true, at least not here. We do see everything happening around, and its just matter of time when some things will happen.

phaNtom
3rd December 2009, 02:00 PM
I think there should be a public school in every country where kids could learn how to become apart of the staff :unsure:
The only thing you need to join staff is BRAIN.

eXtasY
3rd December 2009, 02:01 PM
I do study management :D

Taz.
3rd December 2009, 02:06 PM
I think there should be a public school in every country where kids could learn how to become apart of the staff :unsure:

There you go, he said it all :)

Kava
3rd December 2009, 03:47 PM
nicely said man ;)

pRiMe
4th December 2009, 02:54 PM
:huh: Why the hell would anyone want to be a staff member?

... Mommy, when I grow up I want to be a fireman... no... a superman... no... I want to be in the... STAFF!!!!

Mommy; :cool2: Eat alot of vegetables, and mby one day... just mby...

Xaxaxa :D

DragonSlayer
8th December 2009, 03:49 PM

hahaha xD thats a good one !!

Kava
15th December 2009, 01:06 PM

you fail so hard , all you need are good looks :D

pRiMe
16th December 2009, 08:23 PM
It is very imperative for all of us to join staff cuz with that title you are going to pull off with every babe.
You just need to look in her eyes and tell her: Girl this world for such beauty is too rough,but don't worry when you're with me! I'm moderator from eurobattle.net's staff! :D
And that's it...she'll hop up in your limo and take off with you with opened mouth thinking ''Oh my god HE'S IN EUROBATTLE'S STAFF !'' xD

Cen
16th December 2009, 08:33 PM
Prime knows best. I remember very well,
when he was boasting around, when he was a mod,
how many girls he laid, but now...well you see.
I haven't seen him talking about it ever since. :D

=))

pRiMe
17th December 2009, 03:59 AM
No i was never bragging about it.And i never said i got laid with many girls cuz i didn't.This is offtopic anyways :P
So just read my post and you'll get every chick you want! :)

Memento.
17th December 2009, 04:40 AM
Why would you want to be staff clowns?

They are colored. You want to be colored? That's what I think so.

In.My.ConTroL
17th December 2009, 04:54 AM
You just need to be good at something -.-'
Show them (us) your skills and soon or later you'll be there (here).

Cen
17th December 2009, 06:33 AM
Lol prime, I was joking you nub. ;D