PDA

View Full Version : Support for DotA 6.88X and beyond

Cen
26th May 2017, 01:45 AM
As we all know, newer versions of DotA since 6.85k do not work on W3 patch after 1.26. That is a shame and I think we should find a way to support version 6.88 when it finally comes out of beta (maybe this summer?). This would bring some excitement to DotA community on this server.

I have an idea which I will start working on over the summer. The goal is to:
1. Keep updating w3 when Blizzard releases new patches.
2. At the same time, support w3 1.26 and DotA 6.88

How would this work?

In our client, I would add a third gateway option, so gateways would be:

Normal (w3 1.28+) | Gproxy (w3 1.28+) | Dota 6.88 (w3 1.26)

SS, BR and Lagabuse DotA ladder would be switched to DotA 6.88. The rule is that players with different W3 versions must not join the same game due to desync issues. That would mean that:
-with third gateway you could only join la/ss/br official dota games and nothing else
-with first two gateways you can't join la/ss/br dota games

So all DotA enthusiasts would choose third gateway, the rest of players use first two as normal.
From technical side, client would switch your w3 version instantly depending on which gateway you click on. Game version enforcement would be done at gproxy level.

The only negative side of this system is, that once you choose third gateway you can only play DotA, if you want something else you need to restart w3. Same goes for other direction.

This system would be introduced on secondary server first for testing.

Opinions?

efko.aqw-LA
26th May 2017, 02:31 AM
That's awesome. So players/bots will be able to play whichever version they want to. You will probably need a lot of time to make it to work properly, and does that means game will require much more memory than now - not good news if that has to be related with disk C on pc?

Cen
26th May 2017, 10:42 AM
If you mean more disk yes, around 500MB more to keep both versions at the same time. But I don't think it is really a problem these days.

efko.aqw-LA
26th May 2017, 03:38 PM
If you mean more disk yes, around 500MB more to keep both versions at the same time. But I don't think it is really a problem these days.

If you remember we moved all game files to disk D on my pc, I have some space on C but need it so pc can work like it should. It will be good for me and for some other players to not be on disk C. After all my hdd gives me 300gb available memory, 39gb are on C, always 4-5 free.

Cen
26th May 2017, 03:39 PM
It would be in same folder as W3, so on whatever disk you have it on.

cyberajber
30th May 2017, 05:27 AM
This can/will be great but before that you should write instrucitions multiply it and translate on more then 3 languages. I can already see how "tech" section is on fire :D

Bleachigo
2nd May 2018, 07:01 PM
What happend to this??

luke
2nd May 2018, 07:09 PM
Should be released as beta soon