PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with laptop

eXtasY
4th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Heya, I've got a new laptop, HP Pavilion dv3, but im already to kick it hard. So to keep it safe, please help me out.

Well the problem is with internet. I simply conected my cable internet modem to PC network card port, and windows 7 did the rest of the job. Im on net... but just partly.

Internet explorer cannot open many pages as lets say facebook, blizzard account management site and similar, by showing message that im not conected and that i should check my connection.

Firefox doesn't recognize im connected at all.

I wanted to try out sc2, but i cannot connect to server, also showing im offline and that i should check my connection.

Some windows gadgets as weather cast say the same.

But, as you can see im posting here, i downloaded million things etc, so im defenetly online.

I have only Norton internet security built in, while i turned even firewall off, every single protection i found on browsers etc etc...

only i suspect is that my modem is not fully compatible with win 7 x64, but i cant find anything like that on net. Modem is scientific Atlanta 2100.

Any ideas? :(

Lowlife
4th June 2010, 01:30 PM
pick it up
put it back in the box
take it to the shop where you bought it
complain your ass off

you have a waranty (if it didn't fall of a truck ofcourse :p)
so, explain them your problem
and let them help you. There's a possibility that they won't know what the hell they could do about it
in that case: yell at them, throw a hissy fit, demand to speak to the manager, set loose thousands of rats in their store,...

at the end of the day, you might not have a computer that can surf the limitless amounts of crap offered by the internet, but atleast you made someones day miserable

:D

MiZiGe
4th June 2010, 01:57 PM
mb Windows has adapted some proxy settings, which you are not using?
This is quite a common problem with IE8 + winXP SP3 (and all higher win).

The same may apply to the router, it might be trying to use proxy for DNS.

If it is not the proxy, it would have to be the next step - DNS :) I do not know your set up (router + PC), but usually, routers autoassign and windows auto accepts...unless you have specific settings for DNS, check if "obtain DNS automatically" is set in the TCP/IP config for the connection.

So, to recap, the first things to check are:
on Windows 1. proxy settings 2. dns settings
on router: 1. proxy 2. dns

edit: btw, if everything seems to be in order, try to run cmd, and type ipconfig /flushDNS, then restart your router and test it. Also, check if you can ping the pages you can not reach.

eXtasY
4th June 2010, 02:19 PM
Cant connect neither to msn or teamviewer :(

eXtasY
4th June 2010, 05:36 PM
Ok a big lecture for all.

If you see Norton Internet Security installed on your new pc damn get rid of that shit.

It caused all problems.

Thank you keny !!!!!